Username:

Password:

Forum about Minsk and Belarus

Forum about Minsk and Belarus

as part of The Minsk Herald

It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 00:21

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Reply  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Fishing in Belarus: Another excuse to get drunk?
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2014, 21:37 

Last summer, I was invited on a fishing trip with my wife's friends in Luban. Being a person who had never fished before, i felt quite excited to go on this great 'adventure' and was preparing myself emotionally to watch and learn and at least catch myself one fish. The experience, though, turned out to be something very much different than i had expected.

We arrived there very late in the day, and had a great party where all manners of alcohol were presented. Then, the host of the trip, the husband of my wife's friend, came with some fish, and me, thinking that he must have caught them while i was not looking, was quite pleased to have myself some fresh fish before the fishing trip. I later learned, though, that he had bought them from the local fish market, and that the real fish we will get the following morning. I accepted this cheerfully, and enjoyed the party before retiring to bed. (We were in a sort of cabin-like hotel for fishing). But late in the night, me and my wife were awakened by what felt like an earthquake, and we wondered if a bear had broken into the hotel. I very carefully opened the door of my room and realized that my friend, the host, was sleeping drunk between the door of our room and his room. He had fallen on the ground as he was going to his room. His wife told us to leave him there and to go back to bed, and me, deciding not to bother him, did just that.

The next day, my very hung over friend decided to take me to the 'lake' where we were to fish, but instead of that, i found myself before a strange-looking river that poured into a sewer-like pipe, and there were many people fishing around it. "Here is the lake," said my friend. But me, being disturbed by this, insisted that he take me to the real lake. My friend, after stroking his forehead, agreed, and then walked with me some way up a road and there, i found a lake so beautiful that it looked more like a sea.

The bait we used was of plastic fish, and my host told me to keep tossing the hook into the lake and to drag it along, for we were to capture predator fish, and that was the best way to do so. I did as he had said, but after many tries i realized that the predator fish were feeling quite lazy that day, and also, our neighbors, who seemed quite patient, were not dragging their lines, but were simply waiting calmly. I also realized that they were taking out very small fish that looked even smaller than the bait we were using! I asked my friend if he had ever caught a fish before, and although he insisted that he really had, i found it difficult to believe. And i realized that the fishing trip could have been just another excuse to go into nature and get drunk!

Reply  [ 1 post ]