Username:

Password:

Forum about Minsk and Belarus

Forum about Minsk and Belarus

as part of The Minsk Herald

It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 10:02

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Reply  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: What makes Minsk really worth of visiting?
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2014, 12:08 

Eiffel Tower in Paris, Red Square in Moscow, Gaudi’s masterpieces in Barcelona, Red Light District in Amsterdam…
We have to acknowledge that any popular European city has its own symbol.

Sure, when coming to Paris we definitely want to explore this beautiful city, to walk its narrow cobbled streets, to get acquainted with the dainty local cuisine, to enjoy sophisticated shopping… But what we wanna do first of all? Yes! Eiffel Tower! We want to see this amazing symbol of the most romantic city that we have seen in thousands of movies, magazines, and postcard!

When thinking about Minsk I get really confused. What makes Minsk special? National library? Red Church? GUM? Night life?

What do you think guys? What makes Minsk really worth of visiting?

Post subject: Re: What makes Minsk really worth of visiting?
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2014, 19:54 

I'm not so sure that the people from Amsterdam really want their signature landmark to be their Red Light District, famous though it may be. :)

But as to signature landmarks in Minsk, my wife, who is from Belarus, was saying that the one the state seems to be promoting the most is the National Library. When you stand next to it, it is rather impressive. Outside is a monument to Francysk Skaryna, who is said to have been the first to reproduce a printed version of the Belorussian language.

Still, I'm not so sure that this huge "rhombus section" structure (as the architects apparently called their rhombicuboctahedron - you have to admit, "rhombus section" is easier to say) carries the same romantic imagery as the Eiffel Tower. Although it's an impressive monument to Belarusian literature, I wouldn't consider "a walk under the rhombus section" to be something that stirs my imagination.

But the city has potential for becoming special. It has plenty of parks and green areas that make it a liveable place. The IHL hockey tournament left behind several huge state-of-the-art arenas that might increase the city's signficance as an entertainment and sporting venue. And the holding of peace talks in the city has caught the attention of international publications like the Guardian, which in an article published today seemed to support the president's diplomatic aspirations that the city become something like a mini-Geneva, at least for this area of Eurasia.

For right now, it's not so much a destination as a good stopover on a tour of the region. But give it a few years...

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2014, 09:08 

After living outside of Belarus for a couple of years, I can tell that the vast majority of those who have at least some basic idea of our country will portray its capital as a clean and well-organized city. It seems to me that many European cities (Paris, Amsterdam, Cannes, Dijon, Rome, Barcelona, etc.) has such a variety of architectural masterpieces that can cater for any (even the most sophisticated) tourist taste. However, being a famous tourist destination is both the blessing and the curse. Such cities are highly populated throughout the whole year. Therefore, they are harder to be managed and to be kept clean. For example, Naples can no longer be just noted for its historical, architectural and artistic heritage since numerous garbage bags on the streets are in the spotlight.
And when it comes to Minsk, the city IS a bit boring architecture-wise, but its clean streets are warm welcoming and engaging into exploring the main tourist attractions

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2014, 21:26 

Minsk is no way boring architecture-wise (commenting the latest post). Presence of soviet heritage is another color of urban landscape that has to be emphasized through appealing artistic projects more than neglected due to the issue of its difference from 'accepted' architectural beauty of baroque or classicism styles, which are also present in the city.
Let's appreciate what we have and let others see it in the best way we represent.

Reply  [ 4 posts ]