Forum about Minsk and Belarus

Forum about Minsk and Belarus

as part of The Minsk Herald

It is currently 29 May 2017, 03:55

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Reply  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Non-cash payments limitation decree
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 22:32 

On October 16th 2014 President Lukashenka signed a decree regulating non-cash payments. This decree introduces limitations on the cash payments. Thus you won't be able to buy goods with cash if their cost exceeds 1000 basic units (today it equals 150 million belarusian rubles). According to the statistical data only 25% of payments in Belarus are being done with bank cards. The goal of the innovation is to increase the share of non-cash payments. The decree will come into effect in 6 months.
In your opinion why do Belarusians avoid using bank card? And who will benefit or suffer most from this decree?

Post subject: Re: Non-cash payments limitation decree
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2014, 18:25 

It depends on limit. I am not sure how much is the limit, probably, more that 10 000 USD or so? So, no need to bother at the moment))

Post subject: Re: Non-cash payments limitation decree
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014, 19:07 

Hmmm….interesting. Maybe the Belarusians avoid using credit cards cuz the majority of population here is seniors. I am talking about people brought up in the USSR and living through that awful inflation in the 90s. These people simply do not trust banks and are used to keeping their savings “under the pillow”. And here comes another question of the ways of keeping a close watch on the personal sector, I guess. :wo_ol:

Reply  [ 3 posts ]