Username:

Password:

Forum about Minsk and Belarus

Forum about Minsk and Belarus

as part of The Minsk Herald

It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 00:17

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Reply  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Will Britain really leave the European Union?
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2014, 10:00 

United Kingdom is seriously considering leaving the European Union. One of the main arguments is that "this is not the free trade union we joined in 70s, it's a European superstate, run by unelected bureaucrats." And British public is predominantly in favour of leaving. Moreover, polls in France and Germany also shows that very few people in these countries will regret about British decision.

The only main source of power which undoubtedely supports Britain in the EU is big business. But businessmen themselves are under huge criticism nowadays - ordinary people blame them for world economic crisis so when big companies are saying something in support of the EU the folk just don't listen to them.

Strangely, but one of the main reasons behind hate towards the EU are us. OK, not Belarusians, but rather Polish, Romanians, Hungarians and other Eastern Europeans who come over to the UK to work. I've never seen in comments and heard in public so much bad language towards the EU migrant workers as I see and hear now even in liberal press such as The Guardian.

Of course, we are talking now about distant future. The referendum will take place, probably, after 2015 general elections. But, honestly, so far I do not see any signs that British public opinion is going to change.

Post subject: Re: Will Britain really leave the European Union?
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 19:41 

I am shocked :shock:

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 19:47 

It would be a remarkable opportunity for Belarus, to join The EU at least. But... Britain is going backwards )))

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 16:18 

And finally they did it. :o or :ya_hoo_oo: ?

Reply  [ 4 posts ]