Forum about Minsk and Belarus

Forum about Minsk and Belarus

as part of The Minsk Herald

It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 10:00

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Reply  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Searching for Recently Reposed Mother's Family
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2013, 22:37 

My mother, Alexandra Egorova, was born April 10, 1922 in a village somewhere between Orsha and Minsk. Her father (my grandfather) was named Igor Egorov. Sometime, in the early 1930's, he was taken from the family in the night by the Bolsheviks to Siberia and was never seen again.
My grandmother's name was Efrosinia Naumenko. She died shortly after grandfather was taken away from great stress and sadness. So mother, Alexandra, was left to raise her younger sister Vera and brother who I believe was named Meeshka. I believe there was another sister too but I can't remember the name.

Everyone had passed away in the 1980's and 1990's leaving only their own children. This is who I seek!

I only have tiny bits of information from mother as everything was always so secretive ... supposedly to protect me and my sister. The Nazi troops of WW2 invaded her village and completed burned it down to the ground capturing her and enslaving her in a labor camp. Where, I don't know. It was in that camp she met my father - a young Russian tank captain who was seriously wounded in battle and captured. The only reason my father was allowed to live was because he could speak a few languages.

This ability also saved Alexandra Egorova from being sent to the front as a concubine for the Nazi troops. Father asked the Nazi to spare Alexandra from being shipped to the front as he loved her and wanted to marry her. For this, he would act as a translator. Yes, you could say he co-operated with the enemy but, it saved his life and my mother's life as well.
His name was Fyodor Ossipenko. My sister Lora, was conceived in that camp thanks to father's privileges. The British eventually took over the camp in 1945 war's end and my father and pregnant mother were shipped off as DPs to Canada (London, Ontario) where he built a home and I was born in 1953. My name is Валерий Осипенко.

Father died in 1981 at a very early age .. 59. His shrapnel war wounds in his upper thigh right leg kept infecting all his life and never healed. Alexandra Egorova, my mother, reposed in the fall of 2011 at 89 years of age. The mystery is this ... she destroyed any and all family records, letters, names and addresses of her Belarusian homeland as well as my father's. His family were from Spas Demensk Russia and I believe were all murdered by the Nazi invaders. On her death bed, she said she did this for our own protection as both mother and father were always in fear of NKVD style operatives kidnapping my sister and myself because of the war.
Both of my parents hated the west. They cried for their homeland everyday.

I choose to focus on mother's area as it is the most information I have to go on ... which isn't all that much. As far as Mother's village of birth goes, all I know is that it was somewhere between Orsha and Minsk.
Maybe someone could direct me somewhere to look up names of people buried in cemetaries between those cities. That would be a start.

Thank you so much for reading ... I don't know how else to go about finding out anything about my family background and meeting blood relatives. Mother and father were believers in the Russian Orthodox Church.

Bless Belarus!
Валерий Осипенко

Post subject: Re: Searching for Recently Reposed Mother's Family
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 00:03 

Very touching story. Unfortunately, a lot of people in Belarus suffered so much during WW2.
As for investigation about your mother's background. There are regional archives which possibly hold information about people born in 20 century. I will try to find out what initial information they need from you to start searching and get back to you soon.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 14:54 

Thank You, Thank You so much!!

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2013, 15:51 

AlexandraEgorova wrote:
Maybe someone could direct me somewhere to look up names of people buried in cemetaries between those cities. That would be a start.

Thank you so much for reading ... I don't know how else to go about finding out anything about my family background and meeting blood relatives. Mother and father were believers in the Russian Orthodox Church.

Bless Belarus!
Валерий Осипенко

Hi, Valery
Not sure whether it will help or not but your first point of contact could be this site - The National Historical Archive of Belarus. They do genealogical research and, probably, would assist you. If any help from our site is needed, please, let me know here.

Reply  [ 4 posts ]