Forum about Minsk and Belarus

Forum about Minsk and Belarus

as part of The Minsk Herald

It is currently 27 Mar 2017, 12:40

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Reply  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Foreign students in Belarus
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2014, 23:49 

The number of foreign students in Belarus increased for the last years.
There are many benefits that attract foreign students to study in Belarus: the quality and cost of education, safe life, and geographical location of the country.
Students from what countries study in Belarus?
What problems face foreign students at the beginning?

Post subject: Re: Foreign students in Belarus
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2014, 17:48 

According to statistics there are around 10 000 foreign students in Belarus. This is not that many as I personally expected. I talked to some of them and, basically, thay are all pretty happy to be in this country. However, some issues are really annoying them.

First, it's lack of decent on job training. Knowledge is ok but everyone needs to have opportunity to practise his newly obtained skills.

Second, it's level of education. The foreign students that I had talked to were complaining about their teachers who do their subjects in very old-fashioned style. New technologies such as online testing or tablets are not used at all.

As benefits - I do agree with the topic starter - they mentioned that this country is prety safe and, suprisingly, people are very friendly. I was a bit surprised as Belarusians mostly look a but depressed and not friendly at all. Happy that I was wrong ;) .

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 18:47 

Well, it's true that our system of education is not ideal. I just hope that new technology in education will be implemented soon. Otherwise it will not be competitive.

Post subject: my experience
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 17:44 

I can talk about the education in Belarus, because I came to study here as a foreign student.
Firstly when the foreign student comes, he studies the Russian Language for a one year, then in the next year he studies in the university which he wished to study in, also he can study in English in a few universities. The level of education is good but it needs to develop.
The advantages of studying in Belarus are safety, stability, friendly people, and amazing nature ….etc.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 21:34 

Well,guys i can assure you that comparing to neighbor Russia,the education in Belarus is much better.You can't really expect local teachers to be aware of latest technologies because the budget of most universities is low,not really supported by the government (but honestly it depends on the field of studies).But at least here professors are giving knowledge and they are quite strict in taking exams,not like somewhere( i don't want to mention where,but you can guess) everything can be passed for money:)) But as far as i know in recent years local universities are trying to make contact with major European universities to give their students a chance of internship or "a year abroad" study programs ,which is a big step forward ,i believe.

PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 11:23 

I think money is the answer. I don't know how many foreign students stay here after graduating, but they come here for affordable education.
When I was studying philosophy in BSU I had a fellow group member from China. We asked him why did he choose this country and this university and he always answered that education here is very, very cheap comparing to European countries and his own. At least twice! Besides, in China there is no such field of study as philosophy )
Another girl from China I knew confirmed that she has chosen Belarus for cheap education as well. She is studying plastic art in Belarusian State Academy of Arts and the price is also twice less than in China.

PostPosted: 13 May 2014, 18:32 

I agree that education in our country is quite cheap. Some foreign students admit that paying for their university studies, renting a flat and denying themselves nothing, they still spend less money than they would do paying for education in their native country.
I lived in a students' house for two years and met a lot of people from Europe, Asia and America. Most of them said that the Belarusians are very friendly and easy to deal with. Males also admitted that girls here are extremely attractive :hi_hi_hi:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2014, 12:24 

n_ch wrote:
I think money is the answer. I don't know how many foreign students stay here after graduating, but they come here for affordable education.
When I was studying philosophy in BSU I had a fellow group member from China. We asked him why did he choose this country and this university and he always answered that education here is very, very cheap comparing to European countries and his own. At least twice! Besides, in China there is no such field of study as philosophy )
Another girl from China I knew confirmed that she has chosen Belarus for cheap education as well. She is studying plastic art in Belarusian State Academy of Arts and the price is also twice less than in China.

Totally agree! Being a foreign student in Germany right now and experiencing European style of education I hardly can imagine what else, except money issue, can make students come to Belarus to pursue a degree… It’s sad to acknowledge but our education does not encourage students to think, to express own opinions, to have own vision of different events. What is even worse is that professors and students are like two different “castes”! I hardly can imagine myself talking to my dean in Belarusian university or at least asking my professors some questions I was really interested in? If you ask questions – you are stupid.
I hardly can recommend anyone Belarusian universities. By the way if you see statistics you can notice that students from poorest countries come to study to Belarus.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2014, 08:24 

It's all about money, money, money.
We don't need your money, money, money
We just wanna make the world dance
(C)

Dear all,
It nice to hear from real foreign students, speaking about our education. I have some experience, as I've graduated from one of belarusian top-universities (sounds nice, isn't it?:) ) and at the moment - I am studying in London School of Business and Finance. And know what? I can say that belarusian system of education (at least for economic studies) has one great issue to cope with - it is absolutely theoretical. No, seriously - how many hours have you spent making real life-based projects, business cases? It is very, very important! I strongly advise to the foreigners - while studying in Belarus - think about any possible on-line, part-time or any other possibility to gain real working experience. You'll have a good base of theory, but to cover it with experience - it's your personal duty.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2014, 22:21 

Being a foreign student myself, I can say that studying abroad is both an adventurous journey and a challenging task. Judging from my own experience, I can list a number of problems that a student encounters in a foreign country. For example, language barrier is the most common issue. When I first came to Bulgaria, I had no idea how hard it is going to live in the environment where I can neither understand nor be understood. And when one cannot properly communicate with the world outside of his/her campus or dorms, he/she becomes more vulnerable and start feeling unprotected.
Another problem that I believe every student faces (while living away from home) is time management. It takes a while to learn how to balance an academic and personal life. Even such basic things as eating on time or eating properly can be an issue if you don’t leave enough of spare time in your schedule to do this.
However, the most challenging part of studying abroad is the difficulty of living in a new unknown culture. It is not easy to get the mindset of the foreign community to truly appreciate and respect historical and artistic heritage of the host country. Therefore, one has to develop cultural flexibility in order to enjoy life outside of the classroom.

Reply  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next