Forum about Minsk and Belarus

Forum about Minsk and Belarus

as part of The Minsk Herald

It is currently 21 Jul 2017, 00:42

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Reply  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: An English-speaking friend
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 14:22 

I`d like to share a situation I faced this Sunday in an entertaining center “Zamok” on Pobeditily str.. I was enjoying the week-end with my family at this place – skating, and then we wanted to eat something substantial and decided to go to a self-service restaurant on the 5-th floor. At the checkout counter I met two foreigners, they couldn`t find understanding with the cashier. It was a surprise for me that in such a popular place not only for citizens, but also for foreigners( plenty of hotels are situated not far from this entertaining center, including Victoria Hotel) prices and dishes are written only in the Russian language. They were Muslims, that’s why to eat pork or beef was extremely important for them. Of course, I helped them to make the right choice. Then we got acquainted and the guys complained that nobody knows English in our country and it is very difficult to travel there. It was their first day in Minsk, and I was their occasional safeguard. So, to have an English-speaking friend in Belarus for a foreign guest is sometimes very essential. :) Have you ever faced similar situation?

Post subject: Re: An English-speaking friend
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 15:28 

Pretty common situation for most of us, isn't it)) . I am not surpised at all. However, the guys shouldn't expect that everybody in this country can speak English. Might be good idea to recommend them buying a pocket dictionary.

There might other explanation though ;) . It could be a quite commont trick to get a phone number from a young and good-looking girl. Did you give them your number? :ni_zia:

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 07:25 

Mike, I didn`t give them my phone number. And they certainly didn`t have any desire to take my number phone - than we were talking all together - those two foreign guys, me and my husband. ;)

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 18:10 

O, I see :) That's a different story.

So, did you manage to know whereabout they came from? And did you advise them to get a pocket guide or something?

Friends are ok, but you need to take care about yourself first.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 20:38 

Sorry for not answering, I was a little bit busy at work.
Yes,I answered about their origin,they were from Turkey. Of course,I said them to use online traslator, if they can't find understanding.
As I know, to make friends with Turkish people is sometimes very uncomfortable. For examply, if you make friends with, let's say, Mr. Smith, and he or his relatives have a hotel somewhere in Kushadasi, you will have to go to this particular Mr. Smith's hotel in summer. And if you decide to go next summer to Alania,for example, they will be seriously offended. :twisted:
Thanks for taking care of me. :)

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 06:33 

True. Few people in Belarus can express themselves clearly in English, but many of us have their elementary knowledge of the language that's enough to perceive and to respond. The question is that how many those who can are willing to help foreigners though. You have to take the time and trouble. It’s easier to tell yourself like “Hope there’s someone who speaks better than I do. This poor lost foreigner will be fine”. See, I’m pitying him, but I can't help, there’s noone to blame me. So, people like you Valentina are a real catch for foreigners in our country.

English is universal. We need it to be competitive in this globalized world. And if speaking about tourism, travellers want them to feel safe, assured and welcome in a foreign country. So how can they get their confidence if they can’t communicate to anyone?

As Lev Landau said, "Everyone must possess English! Even the most stupid Englishmen can speak it pretty well”.

Reply  [ 6 posts ]