Username:

Password:


Forum about Minsk and Belarus

Forum about Minsk and Belarus

as part of The Minsk Herald
 
It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 21:03


All times are UTC + 2 hours






Reply  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Belarusian language
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2014, 10:38 
Offline

Joined: 09 Jan 2014, 08:00
Posts: 5
I adore our native language ;)
I adore our Belarusian literature :)
But I'm sorry to come face to face with the fact, that our language becomes mort (fr.)
Let's save it and speak it every day a bit :bra_vo:


Top
 Profile  
 





 Post subject: Re: Belarusian language
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2014, 11:51 
Offline

Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 12:17
Posts: 5
Location: Minsk
Dear Friend

I hope you won't think I'm finding faults with you or something. However, don't you consider your message to be too short and having no arguments at all to persuade your target audience to side with you and share your belief concerning Belarusian?

For instance, I do like vanilla ice-cream with chocolate topping. Does that naturally mean all the other folks must order this type of ice once they see it on the menu or in the store? I guess, not. You've got the point, haven't you?

Looking forward to hearing your true ideas and thoughts about our mother tongue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Belarusian language
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2014, 19:19 
Offline

Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 09:24
Posts: 54
Location: Minsk
Olga wrote:
I hope you won't think I'm finding faults with you or something. However, don't you consider your message to be too short and having no arguments at all to persuade your target audience to side with you and share your belief concerning Belarusian?

Let us not to be too much serious towards our posts ;) . As I understood the topic-starter just wanted to highlight an idea that each of us should use our Belarusian language at least couple of times daily. I personally do so, not everyday, of course, but quite often. Normally, it is just using Belarusian words instead on Russian in conversation. Like, for example, when answering on Kak Dela? (How do you do?) I sometimes say Zmagayus patcihu (Still fighting silently :-): ). Not a big deal but it really helps not to forget the language.
diane obscure wrote:
But I'm sorry to come face to face with the fact, that our language becomes mort (fr.)

I do not agree. The situation with Belarusian language, however bad it is, is better comparing, for example, with Gallic language in Ireland and, especially, Scotland. It might be worth to argue about it but I do believe it is not that bad. But could be better, of course, if the state would have done more in promoting Belarusian language.

diane obscure wrote:
Let's save it and speak it every day a bit :bra_vo:

The idea is simple and may look funny but it really works. It just reminds us that only people (not the state) will decide whether their language will live or not. Again, in Great Britain quite strong nations, the Scots and Irish still struggling not to forget their native Gallic, but small Welsh nation has a live and vivid own language. Just because Welsh people didn't stop talking Welsh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Belarusian language
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 12:30 
Offline

Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 17:10
Posts: 21
I think that the situation with the Belarusian language is getting a little bit better. More and more young people start to speak our language, get interested in belarusian history, our heritage and of course the language. I belive that the fact that the youth pay attention to our roots, to our motherlanguage is extremly important and very promising. They are the future of the country and it depends only on them whether we will or won`t speak Belarusian.
For middle-aged and elderly people it is not so easy to change their minds and start speaking the language they don`t know. They were born in the USSR, didn`t have the chance to know, learn and speak Belarusian. And it is obvious that they don`t want to speak it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Belarusian language
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 13:01 
Offline

Joined: 09 Jan 2014, 23:57
Posts: 18
diane obscure wrote:
I adore our native language ;)
I adore our Belarusian literature :)
But I'm sorry to come face to face with the fact, that our language becomes mort (fr.)
Let's save it and speak it every day a bit :bra_vo:


I'm more than just agree with you! Lately there's a (wow, it's quite hard to make my lingustic consciousness shut up, but...) real trend about Belarusian: it's gradually becoming so hipsterish to speak it, that every diligent hipster makes such an enormous effort just to insert one or two belarusian phrases into his or her hipsterish stream of daily thoughts. I'm quite a jerk, being so cruel to hipsters (especially because I'm an Instagram maniac and sometimes even (quite often really) photo some of my meals) and now I'm going to explain my anti-hipsterish theory.

The thing is that there're some guys who talk and act. And there are some who talk and...talk, and talk and a little more talking wouldn't do any harm they think, so they talk even more. I consider hipsters (I mean just in my context, not on the whole) belong to the second group of people. Speaking Belarusian is soooo trendy, I can't but do that. My February booklist is overwhelmed with Karatkevich and Bikov (but he's not as trendy as Karatkevich though) and I can't but admire (on fb or vk mainly) the unbelievable power of Tank's poems, their rhytmic sructure and, yeah, his metaphors and similies... So what I mean, there are SOOOOO MANYYYY people in Belarus who DO love Belarusian, who DO read Belarusian literature and who DO admire Belarusian culture. And (that's the funniest fact, be ready) they perfectly understand that Belarusian is dying out quite quickly and desperately, and moreover silently, as if it was meant to be and all the people have somehow agreed that it should die out. So these people are so much aware of all these facts and they talk about it in a silent and tragic voice, but... they still don't act. They don't do anything. Because those people who do actually, they don't speak about it, they just do. They're trying to save our language, they believe in the possibility of reviving it. And they do a lot. For example, mova ci kava, such an amazing and easy idea with a great potential. Or such projects as Fialta does, concerning free courses in Belarusian during the year... i CAN


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Belarusian language
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 14:08 
Offline

Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 17:10
Posts: 21
Nadia_Trutniova wrote:
The thing is that there're some guys who talk and act. And there are some who talk and...talk, and talk and a little more talking wouldn't do any harm they think, so they talk even more. I consider hipsters (I mean just in my context, not on the whole) belong to the second group of people. Speaking Belarusian is soooo trendy, I can't but do that. My February booklist is overwhelmed with Karatkevich and Bikov (but he's not as trendy as Karatkevich though) and I can't but admire (on fb or vk mainly) the unbelievable power of Tank's poems, their rhytmic sructure and, yeah, his metaphors and similies... So what I mean, there are SOOOOO MANYYYY people in Belarus who DO love Belarusian, who DO read Belarusian literature and who DO admire Belarusian culture. And (that's the funniest fact, be ready) they perfectly understand that Belarusian is dying out quite quickly and desperately, and moreover silently, as if it was meant to be and all the people have somehow agreed that it should die out. So these people are so much aware of all these facts and they talk about it in a silent and tragic voice, but... they still don't act. They don't do anything. Because those people who do actually, they don't speak about it, they just do. They're trying to save our language, they believe in the possibility of reviving it. And they do a lot. For example, mova ci kava, such an amazing and easy idea with a great potential. Or such projects as Fialta does, concerning free courses in Belarusian during the year... i CAN


I see your point and see that you are a little bit too critical about hipsters, but nevertheless i just don`t understand why, if they only speak Belarusian and do nothing else, they are wrong? I mean, isn`t the whole point of saving the language about speaking it?!
And i agree with you that it is becoming quite popular to speak Belarusian if you consider yourself, how should I say it, bohemian. But I don`t think it is such a big problem. It doesn`t matter what reasons and motives they have, the most important thing is that they speak the language and maybe they will make it a mainstream)))


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Belarusian language
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 18:35 
Offline

Joined: 09 Jan 2014, 23:57
Posts: 18
Alexsandra wrote:
I see your point and see that you are a little bit too critical about hipsters, but nevertheless i just don`t understand why, if they only speak Belarusian and do nothing else, they are wrong? I mean, isn`t the whole point of saving the language about speaking it?!
And i agree with you that it is becoming quite popular to speak Belarusian if you consider yourself, how should I say it, bohemian. But I don`t think it is such a big problem. It doesn`t matter what reasons and motives they have, the most important thing is that they speak the language and maybe they will make it a mainstream)))


I'm not critical at all towards hipsters, by the way, I'm one of them (it's seems impossible not to be, if you're young, ambitious and at the same time just a little bit self-destructive). If you'd read my message more attentively, you would've noticed that I've meant them in the context, just because I wanted to mock at them a little. Obviously, hipsters are different! ;)

And maybe I wasn't able to put my thoughts in something even sligtly reminding order (just because today unfortunately I've missed my morning cup of coffee and it had a disastrous effect on my brain productivity :-( ), but I didn't mention that those people who just speak, at least from time to time, Belarusian are totally wrong. But I'm sure that it's not enough just to speak. Because, as the author of the topic mentioned (and I as a linguist can agree with her), Belarusian is dying out. It's a very slow process, but sometimes it's irreversible, if action is taken to late.

So why is it not enough just to speak you may ask? Because average Belarusian has a very low and poor national identity, we're deprived of true, real patriotism that doesn't consist of economic, political and social successes of the country, but it's rather personal, rooted in beliefs and traditions. First of all, we should revive society's interest towards Belarusian culture and only then we can teach them Belarusian, not worrying about whether they're truly interested in it or not, because they would be motivated and interested in this case. But it's utopian in our reality, as the whole system of education and state structure should be changed dramatically...

Although, on a local level we can teach people Belarusian for free, be creative and even a little bit nationalistic and harsh creating new cafes with belarusian signboards and menus, implying different PR-strategies concerning Belarusian and writing books and articles in Belarusian and carrying out different national festivals.

And I would even ban the Russian laguage on the constitutional level. This really harsh amendment would certainly change the situation, haha!!! :bra_vo:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Belarusian language
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 09:02 
Offline

Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 17:10
Posts: 21
Wow! Such a great idea to ban the Russian language on the constitutuional level will definately do some good for saving the Belarusian language and making people learn and speak it.
And i have just thought that considering our ability to adapt to almost everything it might really work)))
And if to speak seriously I think it is better to creat all the conditions for people so as they want to speak Belarusian themselves. Today it is just not popular or neccessary to speak it. Why bother if there is no advantages of knowing the Belarusian language? Except of course the feeling of national satisfaction - but let`s forget about it for a minute. :oops:
What we need is to make people want to know Belarusian. For example the government can provide preferable conditions for those going to the university who take exams in Belarusian? It will be the beginning but I think it can be one of the factors that will eventually make people learn their language. Like it happened with English, for example. People understood that it is essential to know English if you want to develop, find a good job, travel the world and so on. And look - today a lot of Belarusians especially young people speak English pretty good. And the same will happen with the Belarusian language :!: I hope)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Belarusian language
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 11:54 
Offline

Joined: 18 Jan 2014, 17:02
Posts: 11
Belarusian sounds like a melody! it's really wonderful. I like belarusian language and literature. Yakub Kolas is one of my favourites. I'm interested in contemporary belarusian poetry, I write poems in belarusian as well... but at the same time I speak Russian in everyday life, like most people from my surrounding do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Belarusian language
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 15:02 
Offline

Joined: 29 Jan 2014, 12:31
Posts: 5
I think the solution is obvious just speak Belorussian!
To change the world u should start from changing youself. I've heard of cases when some people didn't like those speaking Belorussian, but IMHO if u want to speak Belorussian, noone can prohibit it.
so don't complain, just do what u consider to be right. ;) ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 2 hours




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


cron